Your home’s air conditioning system has to fill a tall order. Keeping your home cooled to a comfortable, consistent temperature all season long is no small task. So why do traditional central AC units treat every home with one-size-fits-all climate control? If you’re tired of cooling unused rooms in your home or are looking for a better AC option, consider going ductless.
At My Guy, our team has been the trusted Escondido air conditioning company for years. We understand that, depending on your cooling needs, your home may benefit from one cooling method over another. Read on to learn about how ductless AC systems function and how one may make your home more efficient.
What is Ductless AC?
Also known as mini-split air conditioners, ductless ACs have been becoming increasingly popular for homeowners. Combining an outdoor unit with an indoor fan component eliminates the need for ductwork. Ductless ACs are perfect for homes that can’t accommodate ducts, want to incorporate add-ons, or need versatile cooling.
A mini-split combines an outdoor unit, which houses condenser coils and a compressor, with an indoor unit. The indoor unit contains an evaporator coil and a blower fan. There is no need to run ducts or install vents, as air is directly cooled in each room.
Energy-Efficiency of Ductless Air Conditioning
One of the most common problems with traditional HVAC systems is energy inefficiency. The main culprit is often damaged and worn ductwork. Tears, kinks, and breaks in the ducts allow air to escape the system and force the unit to work harder to cool the space.
With a ductless AC, this common issue is eliminated, allowing you to benefit from your system’s efficiency for years to come. In addition to ridding your home of problematic ductwork, mini-splits also don’t waste energy on cooling rooms that you don’t use. Ductless ACs allow you to divide your home into zones and focus on controlling the temperature of the spaces you use most often.
Pros of Mini-Split AC
Compared to a traditional forced-air system, a ductless AC is fully customizable and aesthetically pleasing. Here are some more advantages of this style of the cooling system:
- Energy-efficient: By eliminating ductwork, there is no potential for energy loss through damaged ducts.
- Zoning capabilities: Mini-split systems allow you to cool different rooms in your house to the ideal temperatures.
- Multiple mounting options: Air handles can be mounted on walls, set up as consoles, or even installed in the ceiling.
- Easy installation: Without the need to run ducts, installation only requires a small hole in the wall to accommodate the conduit.
If your space can be best serviced with this style of AC, a ductless system is the perfect setup.
Cons of Mini-Split AC
There are some downsides to choosing a ductless air conditioning system for your home. Read on to learn about the disadvantages of a mini-split AC:
- High installation costs: The initial investment in ductless AC is higher than a traditional HVAC system. However, My Guy Heating & Air Conditioning has financing options to help with the cost of AC installation.
- Requires installation calculations: Each zone needs to be serviced by the proper sized indoor air handler or the unit could short-circuit.
- Not ideal for all spaces: If your space is awkwardly shaped or has low ceilings, a mini-split may not be the best cooling solution.
- Inconvenient repairs: To repair a ductless unit, it has to be removed from the wall. However, My Guy Heating & Air is experienced with ductless AC repair.
With a high price point and specific requirements, ductless ACs are not the perfect fit for every home, but we will work to help you find the right cooling system for you.
Go Ductless with My Guy Heating and Air
Mini-split air conditioners provide on-demand cooling and temperature control for each zoned room. Whether you’re interested in cooling your living space or you’re planning a home expansion, consider investing in a ductless AC. At My Guy Heating and Air, we have years of industry experience so you can rest assured you’re in good hands. Let My Guy be your guy! Contact us today!